Alex Eneli's Evaluation

In what ways doe your media product uses develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
Ways in which my media product is similar to conventions of real media products is through my use of camera angles e.g. I used a POV shot to show the character was being watched to give a eerie feeling and to portray suspense which is found in practically all thriller movies.
Also my movie uses forms of real media conventions through its use of special effects such as slow motion, which gives the feeling of tension. However my movie challenges the forms and conventions of Thriller movies as usually the black person is the person that gets killed first in thrillers but this is not the case in my movie as there is another black character, or, you don’t get any other ethnic groups in thriller movies at all (especially as the main character)
My movie is also like other thrillers, because of the music used in it, it is very dramatic and it sets the scene, to show that something bad is going to happen.
Also the plot of my movie is similar to real thrillers because there is a murderer who is watching their next victim which is seen in pratically all thrillers.

How does your media product represent particular social groups?
My media product represents teenagers through my character Alex as she is portrayed as being anti social, which is the stereotype of teenagers however she is not potrayed as being violent, hanging around in gangs wanting sex and drugs which is the general stereotype of teengaers, as my character is calm and quiet and the same with Sarah and Samantha’s characters.
In addition my media product represents women as being the victims; the character Alex is being attacked, and she cannot fend for herself and it also portrays women as being of  lower power and that men as having all the power.
However my media product doesn’t really represent the particular stereotype of black people as black people are seen as loud, rude and violent but that is the complete opposite in my media product, especially with my character Alex who is quite conservative.

What kind of Media Institution might distribute your media product?
I would like a movie cinema to distribute my movie but that it unrealistic because my movie is a low budget and amateur movie so i would have to start of by putting the movie on the internet i.e websites like youtube and facebook. This way it would be free and accessable to the target audience and if it is seens as popular .e.g. as as having a million views, cinemas may start to take an interest in it and show it in their cinema making it even more accessable to a wider audience, resulting in alot of money being made. Th en once it has been played in the cinema it may be able to be released on DVD  which would mean our company would make extra money and those who were unable go to the cinema to watch the movie would then get another chance to do so.
Who would be the audience for your media product?
The audience for my media product is teenagers, therefore the BBFC rating would be a 15 to allow as many of our target audience to be able to watch the movie, as if it was an 18 then onm ly a small amount of our target audince would be able to watch it, as a result exlcuding all teenagers 17 and under.

How did you attract/address your audience?
I know that Teenagers like to see violence such as people getting killed which I incorporated into my media product to grab the audience’s attention and teenagers like to see other teenagers in thrillers which my media product has. Also audiences like there to be suspense as at the end of the media product you don’t know if Sam’s character survives or not. In addition to attract my audience I know teenage boys like to see young girl’s so I added that to my media product so more people would be encouraged to watch it. Also, at the beginning i did a questionaire to see what teenagers like to see in thrillers which helped to tell me what was vital for making good thriller to attract my audience so they would want to watch the movie.

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?
The things I have learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product is how to edit which includes adding music, special effects, cutting and inserting sounds. I did most of the editing of my movie on Adobe Premiere Pro CS4.
I also learnt how to record sounds, which I had to use for the sound of the voice from the phone call using garage band which could change the tone of a voice such as making it squeekier or deeper, which was the first time I had ever used this program and I learnt how to insert my movie into face book and YouTube which allowed my movie to be distributed to my target audience on a large scale.

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?
Looking back at my preliminary task from the progression from the full product I feel I have learnt how to get continuity as before in my film there was no continuity and now I realise how important it is. I have also learnt all the different camera angles there are and its importance e.g. extreme long shots set the scene. I also learnt the important aspects of thriller movies such as suspense and how music can give a scene a certain feeling. In addition  I learnt to always use a variety of camera angles when filming and to get closer to a character when something important is being said. Lastly I learnt the importance of organisation.e.g putting all documents in one folder, as it makes finding things much easier and stops important things from getting lost. Also from using a calender it hepled me to oraganise my time more efficinetly and get stuff done quicker.